Thursday, December 10, 2009

One of the first Web sites

While talking with some of my friends from Arjuna today, Stuart reminded me that we started playing with the Web in 1991/1992, when we created a Web site with one of the first releases of the CERN HTTP code for the original Arjuna Project. As Stuart recalled, it was so early in the evolution of the Web that one of the original CERN pages which maintained a list of available Web servers around the world (I suppose you could say a precursor to Google in that regard) had our site on the very first page for a long time. It's a shame the Internet Archive does not go back that far.

I know we often hear people ask "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" or "Where were you when the Wall came down?", but I suppose in our industry a similar question would be "Where were you when the Web was started?" Well for me I was in the office I shared with Stuart, working on my PhD and playing with HTTP and HTML. Sometimes I'm surprised we got any real work done :-) !

No comments: