Monday, January 02, 2017

A Java EE Interlude

I want to take a quick break from the other series for a moment to do something I've been remiss about for a while: addressing a recent report by Gartner on the state of Java EE. Before doing so I decided the other day to read the article my friend and colleague John Clingan made a few weeks ago and I realised that John had done a great job already. In fact so good I couldn't see myself adding much to it, but I'll try below. Note, there are other responses to this report and I haven't had a chance to read them but they might be just as good.

To start with, it's worth noting that I've known Anne for a number of years and we've had one or two disagreements during that time but also some agreements. Her announcements about the death of SOA seven years or so ago falls somewhere in between, for example. It's also important to realise, if you don't already, that I do believe everything has a natural cycle ("the circle of life") and nothing lasts forever; whether it's dinosaurs giving way to mammals (with some help from a meteor and/or the Deccan Traps), or CORBA shifting aside for J2EE, evolution is a fact of life. Therefore, whilst I disagree with Anne about the short-to-medium term future of Java EE, longer term it will pass into history. However, before doing so it will evolve and continue to influence the next generation of technologies, just as the dinosaurs became the birds and aspects of CORBA evolved into J2EE. For more details on my thinking on this topic over the years I leave it as an exercise to the reader to check this blog or my JBoss blog.

John covers my next point very well but it's worth stressing: I've mentioned on many occasions that my background is heavily scientific and I continue to try to employ objective scientific method to everything I do. So when I see blanket statements like "fade in relevance" or "lighter-weight approaches", whether it's in a Gartner report, a paper I'm reviewing as a PC member, or even something one of my team is writing, I immediately push back if there's no supporting evidence. And I read this report several times searching for it but kept coming up empty handed. It was one subjective statement after another, with no real attempt to justify them. That's disappointing because with my scientific hat on I love to see facts backing up theories, especially if those theories contradict my own. That's how we learn.

One other thing I did get from the report, and I'm prepared to admit this may be my own subjective reading, was that it seemed like a vague attempt to look into the future for middleware frameworks and stacks without really understanding what has brought us to where we are today. I've written about this many times before but weak assertions by the report that "modern applications" are somehow so different from those we've developed for the last 50 years that existing approaches such as Java EE are not useful really doesn't make any sense if you bother to think about it objectively. Distributed applications, services and components need to communicate with each other, which means some form of messaging (hopefully reliable, scalable and something which performs); there's really no such thing as a stateless application, so you'll need to save data somewhere (again, reliable, scalable and performant); hey, maybe you also want some consistency between applications or copies of data, so transactions of one form or another might be of help. And the list goes on.

Of course application requirements change over time (e.g., I recall doing research back in the 1980's where scale was measured in the 10's of machines), but new applications and architectures don't suddenly spring into being and throw away all previous requirements; it's evolution too though. I've presented my thoughts on this over the past couple of years at various conferences. In some ways you can consider Java EE a convenient packaging mechanism for these core services, which are typically deployed in a co-located (single process) manner. Yet if you look beyond the Java EE "veneer" you can still see the influence of enterprise distributed systems that predate it and also the similarities with where some next generation efforts are heading.

I suppose another key point which John also made well was that the report fails miserably to differentiate between Java EE as a standard and the various implementations. I'm not going to cover the entire spectrum of problems I have with this particular failure, but of course lightweight is one of them. Well over 5 years ago I wrote about the things we'd done years previously to make AS7 run on a plug computer or Android phone and we've kept up that level of innovation up throughout the intervening time. There's nothing in the Java EE standard which says you have to build a bloated, heavyweight application server and we, as well as other implementations, have proven that time and time again. It's disappointing that none of this is reflected in the report. I suppose it's one of those terms the authors hope that if they say it enough, people will attribute their own subjective opinions and assumptions to it.

Another one of those throw-away statements the report is good at is that "[...] at this point, Java developers eschew Java EE". I admit not every Java developer wants to use Java EE; not every Java developer wanted to use J2EE either. But you know what? Many Java developers do like Java EE and do want to use it. You only have to go to conferences like JavaOne, Devoxx or other popular Java events to find them in abundance. Or come and talk to some of our customers or those of IBM, Payara, Tomitribe or other members of the MicroProfile effort.

I could go on and on with this but the entry has already grown larger than I expected. John did a great job with his response and you should go read that for an objective analysis. Probably the only positive thing I could attribute to the original Gartner report is that its very existence probably proves that time travel is possible! It's a theory which fits the facts: a report which criticises something based on data which is largely a decade old means it was probably written a decade ago.

3 comments:

Adil Arif said...

I do think there are areas where Java EE vendors can innovate to stay more relevant. Having an Action based MVC framework, smarter IDEs, and better management interfaces are all areas that Wildfly and others can truly improve upon. The pace of innovation in development is becoming quicker and Java EE vendors need to evolve faster to meet the challenges.

John Clingan said...

+1 on smarter IDEs.

I still haven't quite gotten my arms aroudn the desire for a Java EE action-based MVC framework in 2017. I wasn't really for it when I was Java EE 8 PM @Sun, but Java developers still want it in the age of JavaScript and single-page apps. It's not a knock in any way, I just don't fully understand it quite yet.

On management, I think most of the Java EE runtimes are managed by the cloud infrastructure. What kind of management interfaces are you looking for?

Steve said...

Trying to make Java EE smaller is not the answer and it is proof unsuccessful in microservices architecture. Java EE is almost 20 years old and too much baggage to carry as they have to make sure backward compatibility. I am maintaining a microservice benchmark and you can see WildFly Swarm, Payara and Spring-Boot are at the bottom.

https://github.com/networknt/microservices-framework-benchmark

There is another article I wrote regarding to Java EE and I think the conclusion is the same as Gartner report.

https://networknt.github.io/light-java/architecture/jee-is-dead/